Sunday, July 23, 2006

The trip

I was thinking of writing a little diary of sorts, a collection of my thoughts and feelings of my trip to Japan.

I started the same way I ended. A little bit of yearning for the food from hope; a sadness of having to leave. I told a good friend that I was sad to leave, unlike the rest. Brimming with excitement of the tales to regale to their folks.

The decision to leave, a product of my belief that life came in stages. This trip marked the end of another stage in life, a passage into working life and adulthood. Japan proved to be a neat little full stop to a phase of life filled with music.

It was taking up too much of time. I was both amazed and ashamed to learn that tsu ensemble members were not full time musicians. They had to juggle married life, life on the road (some were truck drivers) as well as performing. I couldn't do that.

So I plucked up the courage and faced reality. I think it was time to move on. So that I had more time for other bigger things, and more important events in life. The kids in church, and of course the wonderful missus who put up with crazy schedules and quite weekends. Not forgetting the job.

She held my hand and squeezed.

Dear, don't stop doing what you love.

And that was enough courage for me to carry on playing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home